Editor’s Note: This is a guest post by Lexi Yoga of LexiYoga.com. Visit her website for step-by-step guides on the poses mentioned as well as a comprehensive source of information on yoga, chakras and other great tips.
What is the heart chakra?
The heart chakra is the fourth chakra and is located in the center of the chest. Governed by love, creativity and your sense of touch, the heart chakra is closely connected to various emotions such as compassion, honesty, respect, forgiveness, jealousy, anger, self-expression, happiness, generosity and the love you have for yourself and others. Having an imbalanced heart chakra can lead to various diseases such as lung cancer, breast cancer, heart disease, pneumonia, respiratory problems or upper back problems.
3 Great Ways to Open Your Heart Chakra
In this post, I will talk about 3 ways to help you open your heart chakra:
- Yoga Postures
- Aromatherapy Massage
- Self-Expression & Creativity
- Fish pose opens up the heart and throat chakra. Since the heart chakra is connected to your lymphatic system, which is your central immune system, these glands are stimulated in this yoga posture. In Fish pose, you are opening your rib cage, lungs and upper back, therefore opening yourself to more love.
- Side forward bend is a great posture for opening up your chest area. You can fold forward in side forward bend if you feel your heart chakra is too open (see picture) but you can also try to lift and open your chest in this pose (you’ll feel your heart chakra open this way.) It is also a good stretch for your back and legs. There are many benefits to forward bends. They have very calming affects on your body, mind and spirit.
Using your hands to express love and creativity is important for your heart chakra. The hand chakras are closely linked to your heart. Giving a therapeutic body massage to a loved one can do wonders to enlighten your spirit. Any form of physical touch that’s slow and gentle can be very effective in opening your heart chakra.
Rubbing fragrant essential oils is very useful and effective because you’re also stimulating your senses. This can further relax you and your partner. Sweet fragrant oils such as rose, jasmine, bergamot, lavender, or rosemary can heighten the experience.
Self-expression & Creativity
There are many ways to express yourself. This could be by baking a cake, writing a poem, playing an instrument, painting or sketching something, building something from scratch, planting flowers or natural herbs in your garden or even taking pictures and making a collage. Enjoying the act is more important than the actual outcome. Creativity is important to open up your heart chakra.
To read more about the heart chakra (and the other chakras) visit Lexi Yoga: Heart Chakra Article
Latest posts by Darla Brown (see all)
- Protected: What is “true” yoga? [Share Yoga Members Only] - January 5, 2018
- Upcoming YogaChats in November #yogachat - October 31, 2016
- Why You’re Not Practicing Yoga Consistently (And What You Can Do About It) - June 15, 2016