What is tapas? Tapas is a sanskrit word from the verb “tap”, which means “to burn”. The most traditional interpretation is “fiery discipline”.
Tapas is that inner motivation that fuels us to do the things we need to do. It can also be thought of as a cleansing fire burning away our samskaras (karmic tendencies), which gives back more of our energy. Like any fire, a single spark of tapas can ignite more and more tapas. So even adding a one minute meditation each day will give you the energy to do more and more, as long as you stay committed to that minute.
Tapas is also one of the five niyamas (observances) outlined in Patanjali’s Yoga Sutra.
Our theme for the month of January is “Intention,” so for this week’s yoga chat we will discuss how to use tapas to gain discipline for any intention. Here are a few questions to inspire the discussion:
- Where does the word tapas come from and what does it mean?
- How can we use tapas to reach our goal and keep us in tune with our intentions?
- What are some examples of applying tapas mentally, physically and spiritually?
- Why is discipline important for your yoga practice?
Plus bonus questions especially for yoga teachers:
- How do you explain/teach tapas to your students?
- What are some cues to integrate tapas into your teaching?
We will also share some simple exercises to help you increase tapas.
“Tapas: Igniting the Fire of Discipline” #yogachat
What: Free YogaChat on Twitter
When: Friday, Januray 30th at 10:00am
Who: Yoga students, yoga teachers, yoga lovers, EVERYONE!
How do I join in the Yoga Chat?
2. IMPORTANT: Login with your Twitter account
3. Follow along with the chat starting at 10am PST/ 1pm EST
4. Post replies and always include the hashtag #yogachat.
What is a Tweet Chat?
A tweet chat is a virtual online gathering through Twitter. To join in the chat, use the hashtag #yogachat in all your tweets during the designated time. See you there!
Latest posts by Kimberlyn Brown (see all)
- A Day in the Life of a Yoga Teacher: Sarit Z Rogers - November 30, 2015
- Alchemy & Authenticity - May 4, 2015
- A Day in the Life of a Yoga Teacher: Lori Tindall - March 8, 2015