- This event has passed.
Overcoming Negative Habits by Igniting Agni #yogachat
April 22, 2016 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 am
“In some ways the negative samskaras are like an addiction. But instead of being addicted to a substance you get addicted to a particular emotional state that leads to suffering and pain. The samskaras have a familiarity to them and even though they lead to suffering it is also somehow all you know as life. Their familiarity is also their temptation because the pattern is so well established and you are so attached to its righteousness that it actually hurts to let them go. The more you unknowingly let the negative samskaras fuel your life course the deeper they pull you into the dark spiral. The practice of yoga offers what is said to be the only way out. Instead of fighting them from an antagonistic place the practice of yoga seeks to burn through the samskaras with the light of pure awareness. This is done with actual physical and spiritual practice that cultivates the fire of purification, known as agni in Sanskrit. Once the inner agni is ignited it has the power to literally fry the negative samskara almonds until only their shell is remaining and they no longer have the ability to grow and bear their painful fruit.” Source: Burning through Obstacles (Samskaras) in Ashtanga Yoga. “Almonds,” Agni & our Attachment to our own Suffering.
- What is agni? How is it used in a yoga practice?
- How can we ignite agni? What practices, meditations, rituals, mantras are helpful?
- How does agni transform your samskaras?
- What are some negative habits you’d like to change?
- What is something you can do today to ignite agni & burn through your negative samskaras?
Latest posts by Kimberlyn Brown (see all)
- A Day in the Life of a Yoga Teacher: Sarit Z Rogers - November 30, 2015
- Alchemy & Authenticity - May 4, 2015
- A Day in the Life of a Yoga Teacher: Lori Tindall - March 8, 2015